Well, hello there.
How nice of you to drop by. You have managed to catch me in spirit gliding across the lovely Kalpitiya Lagoon, Western Sri Lanka. Physically, I'm still in Perth, Australia.
Enough about where we are (or aren't), more about why we're here.
Let me introduce myself.
I'm Leo Walton. A designer, creator, maker, business owner and operator. It's safe to say that I find it hard to sit still. In the last 8 years I've gone from being a pixel pusher to a lead designer to a design manager. A co-founder of one of my own start-ups and one small business. My latest move was to Australia's biggest network of patients, HealthEngine. Everyday I try to add value and now find myself in the Design Manager's role leading a team of 4 amazing designers.
I've constantly been faced with things that I didn't think I could do, or know how to do. But with curiosity, a yearnin' for learnin' and asking a lot of questions, I've developed a broad range of skills across service design, business strategy, operations and marketing, specialising in UX and product design.
- Agile (process tinkering & optimisation)
- Story telling
- Research ops (Qual/Quant methods, recruitment, documentation, sharing/evangelising)
- workshop facilitation (discovery workshops, design sprints)
- UX techniques and deliverables (personas, user journeys, user flows)
- Service design techniques and deliverables (alignment/stakeholder workshops, service blueprints, feature prioritisation)
- Rapid Prototyping (invision, figma, principle)
- Usability Testing
- Design system definition, creation & implementation (based on atomic design)
- Advanced UI tools (sketch, figma,
- Analytics tools (GA, Adobe target, Excel with zapier)
- Advanced Adobe CC skills (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, After Effects)
- Growth Engineering (A/B testing, funnel optimisation)
- Animation/Motion graphics design (After effects)
- + many more, just ask 😀
Design manager / Design lead
september 2017 - current
I started my journey at Australia's biggest patient network as a Graphic Designer in a Sales Enablement team. From my previous experience building products, I quickly moved into a product squad as a UI/UX designer. I'm now the Design Manager, managing 4 inspiring multi-disciplinary designers and the Product Design lead for our incubation and discovery phase products.
- Defined, created and implemented design systems & processes, such as a design language, design principles, workshop methods, and frameworks. Optimised research processes and democratised research across the business.
- Lead multiple cross-team, cross-function projects including a re-usable product activation framework that could be applied to any past and future product. Eliminating the need for staff intervention (saving up to 5 hours manual work), lossed sales and increasing customer experience (reducing time of request to actually using product by days).
- **still doing** Communicating the value of good design to the executive team.
Co-founder, Head of product (& Operations and Marketing)
April 2016 - September 2017
Part of the founding team. Designed and developed prototypes that secured $90k in funding and successful entrants into two of Australia's leading startup accelerator programs. Charged with designing, prototyping, developing and deploying the digital product fuelled by qualitative and quantitative research. Wore many many many hats in running the business day to day.
- Overhauled the identity of the company (re-branding from Prevyou). Developed the design language to create a consistent and resonant brand with our prospective clients.
- Conceptualised, designed and developed marketing landing pages and landing pages focused on product features to discover a range of user qualities and product requirements.
- Developed an end-to-end user flow of our cross platform, human logistics and tech integrated product.
- Created and implemented all marketing collateral, including 1+ hours worth of motion graphics for product and explainer videos.
- Created and implemented an onboarding process that produced 78% completion of our online courses, up from 8% the previous month. Achieved 638 course completions in July alone, up from 2 the previous month.
Lead UI.UX designer and Project Manager.
March 2012 - July 2016
UI & UX design, branding and print design. Managed the end-to-end process of developing a range of client facing websites and web apps.
- Lead discussions with clients to translate their business requirements into wireframes, high fidelity prototypes (collaboration with Invision) and finished websites.
- Collaborated with and managed contractors, a development team of 8 and content teams to implement innovative digital solutions.
- Created systems and processes to efficiently manage both an internal and external workforce to produce finished products within stringent time frames. Improved performance and concept to deploy time by 17%.
- Liason to client through design, development and content phases.
Leo Walton - Freelance Graphic Design.
July 2012 - Present
Multidisciplinary design work producing collateral and experiences for a range of clients from Fine artists all the way to tour companies in Paris. Mixed mediums, including Print and prepress design; Website concept, development and deployment; Identity design; Infographics design; Motion graphics design; Iconography.